Saturday, June 18, 2011

Capital City Speedway Fans as far away as Australia.

I received an email from a long term fan who has been in Australia since 1963. He writes;

Hi ,

Here I sit in my lounge room in Melbourne Australia . My family moved here in 1963 and have been here since. I have often thought of the early days of stock car racing in Ottawa. Looking through old stuff that one keeps for what ever reason. I came across photos taken at Lansdowne Park in 1959 that were cut from the programs and the local newspaper. I have kept them all these years and thought of the days when I went with my dad to watch my Hero's race around that tiny track. Going through the pits getting autographs and smelling the hot engines that had fought battles lap after lap. The names of drivers John Derby,Dany McLellan,Buck Holiday, G.Ritchie, Stu Trudel and more. We used to travel down to Oswego Raceway at least once a year as well. I thought that a quick flick through Google would result in more photos. I have been a car fan all these years but without ever a proper garage I never pursued those dreams of a Hot Rod of my own.

Although I still build plastic models -

That is the reason that led me to this web site as I thought I would re-create one of those racers from the past times in Ottawa. So having just read the story of how Lansdowne Park closed and of course the emergence of Capital City Speedway.

My dad and I were some of the first to be there on opening night 50 years ago of which I still have my Lifetime Membership card tucked away in the Attic somewhere . I believe mine is number 11. I doubt if I will get to use it again but one never knows.

Just thought I'd let you know that I been through this web site and its great to see that there is documentation of those early days when the racers were truly brave drivers with very little if any safety protection other than a silly little helmet and very flimsy roll cage if that.

Thanks for the memories.

John Templin
38 Lingwell Road
Hawthorn East , Victoria.
Australia 3123

No comments:

Post a Comment